Friday, August 22, 2008

Doctors and Patience

I had my monthly doctor's appointment on Thursday (which will now be occurring by-monthly now).

Two things... one, is that my glucose test came back normal (no gestational diabetes).

The other is I was reminded how much I really like my doctor. For those of you who I talk to, you probably already know this. She is (1) and she, (2) a mother, (3) has excellent bed-side manner, and (4) an 'everything' doctor. I've been seeing her just myself for almost 4 years, she'll deliver our baby, and be our pediatrician. I'm sure there are reasons why it might be nice to have 3 different doctors for all of those things, but I'm enjoying having someone know me (and my family) so well.

We had a LIST of things to go over with her, information that has come up during our Bradley classes, and I was worried about asking too many questions during one appointment. However, it didn't seem to phase her when, between Justin and I, we asked her about: fetal heart rate monitoring, IV's in the delivery room, episiotomy, breast feeding on the delivery table, how long to wait to cut the umbilical cord, circumcision, how long we have to stay after the delivery, exams leading up to birth, my diet, asking for nurses who 'enjoy' working with unmedicated births... I think that was it. There were probably more.

Good news... she passed with flying colors and didn't seem upset at all that we were taking more of her time than usual. I guess now that we're going every other week I could have spread out my questions, but my guess I'll continue to have more.

No comments: