Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Drum roll please...

Well... the secrets out -for the most part.

Justin and I opted to tell the parents sooner rather than later.

'Sooner' was on April 6, 2008. No offense to the parents (or, to-be grandparents) but you weren't the first to know. A few close friends found out and a couple of co-workers... but you're pretty much the only ones to get a face-to-face PLANNED trip to tell you all. That still makes it special, right?

Set #1 Mimi and Papa (Justin's mom, Lisa, and step-dad, Dave)

We showed up to their house Sunday morning. They were expecting us. It's not uncommon for Justin to call and ask his mom or Dave if he can 'talk' to them -but it almost always involves a business venture or at the very least finances. This time he didn't give an explanation... so I think they were suspicious. Dave was working on the deck and Lisa was watching TV.
I got on the computer trying to find our new table set to show Lisa and Justin started to tell her. He said that we were going to be with my parents on Thanksgiving (we had a previous conversation the week earlier about being with them on thanksgiving and possibly going to St. George.) She asked why... and Justin tried to chicken out and let me tell her. I just shook my head and said, Nope, this is your deal. So... he said that we couldn't go with them out of town, because we were needed to stay closer to home that weekend... because we're expecting a baby around that time. Lisa jumped up and got excited and brought Dave into the room, and then I told him. They have one grand-daughter, Laila, and they're looking forward to another one.

Set #2 Scott and Denise (Uh... Scott and Denise, Justin's dad and step-mom)
We showed up here unannounced about 10:30 or so. We've NEVER showed up unannounced, and unfortunately really don't go out very often any other way. So, I'm guessing that they were even more suspicious of the visit. Justin had tried to replay an April Fools joke last week and told his dad that I was pregnant. He just laughed it off and didn't believe him. So, when we got to the house, all he said was "Remember last week when I told you that Mel was pregnant? Well, it wasn't an April Fool's." He and Denise were pretty excited. I could hardly tell if Bryan and April had any opinion at all.

Set #3 Nana and... Grandpa ( I think) -my mom and dad
We were celebrating my mom's birthday so I bought a card that was written to a Nana and we signed it from Baby Lafeen. Justin and I had picked my grandma Petersen up to go to dinner with us and after dinner my mom opened a few presents. She opened the card and just kind of looked at it for a minute. Justin and I kept watching for the lightbulb to go on -but my dad's did first. He said, Is this an announcement? My mom finally figured it out and got really excited. Gordon looked at me like I was crazy... but Jodi and Matt were pretty excited too.

So that's it. We made a few phone calls to grandparents on the way home, but the news is out. We're all expecting a Thanksgiving (or sometime close to that) baby!

No comments: