Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Why?

We've entered the "Why?" stage of development.  I knew kids asked why a lot, but I think I neglected to realize it's over EVERYTHING!  Not just legitimate questions of curiosity.

Don't hit your sister.
Why?
Because you will hurt her.
Why?
That's what happens when you hit someone.
Why?
Because... that's the rule.

Put your trains away, please.
Why?
Because it's time to clean up.
Why?
Because there are too many toys out and you're going to get hurt.
Why?
Because you'll step on them and hurt your feet.
Why?
Because... that's the rule.

I either end the endless questions with silence (and ignoring the questions) or, "that's the rule".

Your dad likes to turn the tables on you quite often and ask you why over and over again.  You usually can go quite a few rounds with answers, or repeating your answers.  Today and said, almost under your breath, "cuz' that's the rule".

I guess it's starting to sink in.

No comments: