Monday, December 6, 2010

A letter to my first born

We have a lot in common, me and you. We're both the oldest. We both spent time being an 'only child', although we don't (or won't) remember it. We both changed our parents lives probably more than any other child will. We both have (had) NO idea what was in store for us when our mom and dad would talk about another baby coming to our house.

I have been feeling a little bit guilty these last few days. Your life is going to change so much this week, and I'm responsible for that. I hope you will always know how much I have enjoyed spending my days with you, and only you. I hope that you will have a good relationship with your new brother or sister. You probably won't always feel that way, I didn't, but I am grateful for all of my siblings for different reasons.

It's a big responsibility, being the oldest. You'll probably feel a sense of responsibility over any and all of your siblings that will come. Which is good, you're the oldest, and I think you should feel that way. They will most likely look up to you and watch how you live your life and the choices that you make, good and bad.

We're going to try and spend some time together tomorrow, just you, me and dad. We might take you swimming or to a children's museum. We won't have too many opportunities to do this again, with just the three of us. I know you won't be able to remember it, but I promise that I will.

Love,
Your mom

No comments: